What movie or series did you watch last?

Welcome to the real world... A forum dedicated to movie discussions.

Moderators: fac51, 117, arfur, vinnieza

117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

The Bourne Identity - first time I've seen any of the Bourne series, not read any of them either but am a big Robert Ludlum fan so was keen to see what this was like - was pretty good actually, Matt Damon seems to be a fine actor in whatever he tries his hand at :) 7/10[/url]
Image
Image
mr mixin
Guru In Trouble When Ed Finds Out
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 am
Location: Notts, uk
Contact:

Post by mr mixin »

I'm confused having both read and watched the Bourne Identity. I watched it a few years ago and then read it when I was travelling and from what I can remember about the film, they are completly different stories. Only bit that's the same was the bit on the boat at the beginning.
From what I remember anyway
User avatar
fac51
Gaming Guru
Posts: 14526
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Rapture
Contact:

Post by fac51 »

the first one was ok, i got bored shitless with the second one so never watched it all. not to arsed about watching the third.
Image
117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

mr mixin wrote:I'm confused having both read and watched the Bourne Identity. I watched it a few years ago and then read it when I was travelling and from what I can remember about the film, they are completly different stories. Only bit that's the same was the bit on the boat at the beginning.
From what I remember anyway
Seems fairly likely, movies taken from novels definitely have form for changing things, although tbf the Ludlum novels I've read would be pretty damn difficult to distil into a 2hour movie without making some pretty drastic changes!
fac51 wrote:the first one was ok, i got bored shitless with the second one so never watched it all. not to arsed about watching the third.
says the man who thought Zodiac was crap :roll:
Image
Image
mr mixin
Guru In Trouble When Ed Finds Out
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 am
Location: Notts, uk
Contact:

Post by mr mixin »

117 wrote:Seems fairly likely, movies taken from novels definitely have form for changing things, although tbf the Ludlum novels I've read would be pretty damn difficult to distil into a 2hour movie without making some pretty drastic changes!
By pretty drastic you mean: Changing the whole damn story apart from the lead characters name and the one boat scene at the beginning? ;)
117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

yup, that's about the size of it :p

from Wikipedia:
The film has many significant changes from the source novel. While elements of his journey around Europe as well as his amnesia are retained, the Jason Bourne of the novel is not an assassin but rather a deep cover CIA operative acting as a fictional assassin to get close to international assassin Carlos the Jackal; he was wounded attempting to prevent rather than perpetrate an assassination. The nature of Operation Treadstone is also different than portrayed in the film: Instead of a network of government sponsored assassins it is a scheme to trap Carlos with Jason Bourne as the sole field agent.

While most of the characters in the film share names similar with characters in the novel, their personalities and place in the story are significantly different. The character of Marie in the novel is a Canadian economist as opposed to a young, unemployed German traveller. Conklin is a more villainous presence in the film adaptation that, unlike in the novel, does not survive. The story thread involving Carlos was also removed as the real Carlos was by this time imprisoned in France. Bourne discovering information regarding his true identity and past ? such as his real name ? was also removed.
Image
Image
User avatar
fac51
Gaming Guru
Posts: 14526
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Rapture
Contact:

Post by fac51 »

117 wrote:
says the man who thought Zodiac was crap :roll:
it was crap and so is the second bourne film ;)
Image
117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

Since you're fond of citing review scores to backup your case (see: Bioshock demo thread), I point you to IMDB's User Rating of Zodiac: 8.0/10 from 32498 votes, plus RottenTomatoes' freshness rating: 88%, Rotten Tomatoes ratings are taken by analysing all the online reviewers' ratings

Likewise for the second Bourne film, IMDB: 7.4/10, RottenTomatoes: 82%

It seems the figures disagree with the Edward :p
Image
Image
vinnieza
Allowed to Drink!!!!
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Pluto
Contact:

Post by vinnieza »

I quite like the bourne films. At first i thought the first was rubbish but that's because i fell a sleep, on watching a second time i liked it :)
Image
....................My site: www.vthemes.co.uk
.........................* no questions asked *

Image
User avatar
fac51
Gaming Guru
Posts: 14526
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Rapture
Contact:

Post by fac51 »

117 wrote:Since you're fond of citing review scores to backup your case (see: Bioshock demo thread), I point you to IMDB's User Rating of Zodiac: 8.0/10 from 32498 votes, plus RottenTomatoes' freshness rating: 88%, Rotten Tomatoes ratings are taken by analysing all the online reviewers' ratings

Likewise for the second Bourne film, IMDB: 7.4/10, RottenTomatoes: 82%

It seems the figures disagree with the Edward :p
I've already seen the figures, in fact I always check IMDB before watching a film and I'll stand by what I said Zodiac was utterrshite and so was the second Bourne film. If you like watching films that are likely to send you to sleep (maybe you suffer from insomnia) then watch either and I'm sure they'll do the trick.

Seems I'm not the only one with this opinion, even if we are in the minority.
Sorry to say that, but i was attracted to watch the film due to its high ratings and so many good remarks. However the 2.5 hr running time, i was struggling if i should give up or not for many times.
I am out of US and not familiar with the Zodiac history at all. Then the documentary-like film barely poses any surprise or horror or suspense to me. And it is toooooooooo long, even without a good ending.
I was just wondering if anyone here without knowing the Zodiac history before has enjoyed this movie?


and there's more:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443706/board

As for Bioshock why not try it and make up your own mind as I did with the two afroemetnioed films ;)
Image
117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

fac51 wrote:
Sorry to say that, but i was attracted to watch the film due to its high ratings and so many good remarks. However the 2.5 hr running time, i was struggling if i should give up or not for many times.
I am out of US and not familiar with the Zodiac history at all. Then the documentary-like film barely poses any surprise or horror or suspense to me. And it is toooooooooo long, even without a good ending.
I was just wondering if anyone here without knowing the Zodiac history before has enjoyed this movie?
Yes, I had no prior information on the Zodiac story (I knew it was a film about a real serial killer, that's it), yet thoroughly enjoyed the film, and would go as far as saying it's the best new film I've seen in a very long time.

fac51 wrote: As for Bioshock why not try it and make up your own mind as I did with the two afroemetnioed films ;)
I will do..... when I get a chance....
Image
Image
User avatar
fac51
Gaming Guru
Posts: 14526
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Rapture
Contact:

Post by fac51 »

Blades of Glory - laugh out loud funny - 8/10
Image
117
Lowly Janitor Guru
Posts: 12548
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: a destination a little up the road

Post by 117 »

The Bourne Supremacy - not as good as the first one but still pretty entertaining - 6.5/10
Image
Image
User avatar
fac51
Gaming Guru
Posts: 14526
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Rapture
Contact:

Post by fac51 »

Vacancy - slasher/horror film about two people stranded in a small motel which turns out to be a set for snuff films. Kate Beckinsale was wasted in it. 6/10
Image
mr mixin
Guru In Trouble When Ed Finds Out
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 am
Location: Notts, uk
Contact:

Post by mr mixin »

I saw the trailer for Vacancy a couple of times in the cinema. Had (and still have) no desire to see it.
Post Reply