What movie or series did you watch last?
Moderators: fac51, 117, arfur, vinnieza
-
mr mixin
- Guru In Trouble When Ed Finds Out
- Posts: 3201
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 am
- Location: Notts, uk
- Contact:
I'm confused having both read and watched the Bourne Identity. I watched it a few years ago and then read it when I was travelling and from what I can remember about the film, they are completly different stories. Only bit that's the same was the bit on the boat at the beginning.
From what I remember anyway
From what I remember anyway
-
117
- Lowly Janitor Guru
- Posts: 12548
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
- Location: a destination a little up the road
Seems fairly likely, movies taken from novels definitely have form for changing things, although tbf the Ludlum novels I've read would be pretty damn difficult to distil into a 2hour movie without making some pretty drastic changes!mr mixin wrote:I'm confused having both read and watched the Bourne Identity. I watched it a few years ago and then read it when I was travelling and from what I can remember about the film, they are completly different stories. Only bit that's the same was the bit on the boat at the beginning.
From what I remember anyway
says the man who thought Zodiac was crapfac51 wrote:the first one was ok, i got bored shitless with the second one so never watched it all. not to arsed about watching the third.
-
mr mixin
- Guru In Trouble When Ed Finds Out
- Posts: 3201
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 am
- Location: Notts, uk
- Contact:
By pretty drastic you mean: Changing the whole damn story apart from the lead characters name and the one boat scene at the beginning?117 wrote:Seems fairly likely, movies taken from novels definitely have form for changing things, although tbf the Ludlum novels I've read would be pretty damn difficult to distil into a 2hour movie without making some pretty drastic changes!
-
117
- Lowly Janitor Guru
- Posts: 12548
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
- Location: a destination a little up the road
yup, that's about the size of it 
from Wikipedia:
from Wikipedia:
The film has many significant changes from the source novel. While elements of his journey around Europe as well as his amnesia are retained, the Jason Bourne of the novel is not an assassin but rather a deep cover CIA operative acting as a fictional assassin to get close to international assassin Carlos the Jackal; he was wounded attempting to prevent rather than perpetrate an assassination. The nature of Operation Treadstone is also different than portrayed in the film: Instead of a network of government sponsored assassins it is a scheme to trap Carlos with Jason Bourne as the sole field agent.
While most of the characters in the film share names similar with characters in the novel, their personalities and place in the story are significantly different. The character of Marie in the novel is a Canadian economist as opposed to a young, unemployed German traveller. Conklin is a more villainous presence in the film adaptation that, unlike in the novel, does not survive. The story thread involving Carlos was also removed as the real Carlos was by this time imprisoned in France. Bourne discovering information regarding his true identity and past ? such as his real name ? was also removed.
-
117
- Lowly Janitor Guru
- Posts: 12548
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
- Location: a destination a little up the road
Since you're fond of citing review scores to backup your case (see: Bioshock demo thread), I point you to IMDB's User Rating of Zodiac: 8.0/10 from 32498 votes, plus RottenTomatoes' freshness rating: 88%, Rotten Tomatoes ratings are taken by analysing all the online reviewers' ratings
Likewise for the second Bourne film, IMDB: 7.4/10, RottenTomatoes: 82%
It seems the figures disagree with the Edward
Likewise for the second Bourne film, IMDB: 7.4/10, RottenTomatoes: 82%
It seems the figures disagree with the Edward
I've already seen the figures, in fact I always check IMDB before watching a film and I'll stand by what I said Zodiac was utterrshite and so was the second Bourne film. If you like watching films that are likely to send you to sleep (maybe you suffer from insomnia) then watch either and I'm sure they'll do the trick.117 wrote:Since you're fond of citing review scores to backup your case (see: Bioshock demo thread), I point you to IMDB's User Rating of Zodiac: 8.0/10 from 32498 votes, plus RottenTomatoes' freshness rating: 88%, Rotten Tomatoes ratings are taken by analysing all the online reviewers' ratings
Likewise for the second Bourne film, IMDB: 7.4/10, RottenTomatoes: 82%
It seems the figures disagree with the Edward
Seems I'm not the only one with this opinion, even if we are in the minority.
Sorry to say that, but i was attracted to watch the film due to its high ratings and so many good remarks. However the 2.5 hr running time, i was struggling if i should give up or not for many times.
I am out of US and not familiar with the Zodiac history at all. Then the documentary-like film barely poses any surprise or horror or suspense to me. And it is toooooooooo long, even without a good ending.
I was just wondering if anyone here without knowing the Zodiac history before has enjoyed this movie?
and there's more:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443706/board
As for Bioshock why not try it and make up your own mind as I did with the two afroemetnioed films

-
117
- Lowly Janitor Guru
- Posts: 12548
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm
- Location: a destination a little up the road
Yes, I had no prior information on the Zodiac story (I knew it was a film about a real serial killer, that's it), yet thoroughly enjoyed the film, and would go as far as saying it's the best new film I've seen in a very long time.fac51 wrote:Sorry to say that, but i was attracted to watch the film due to its high ratings and so many good remarks. However the 2.5 hr running time, i was struggling if i should give up or not for many times.
I am out of US and not familiar with the Zodiac history at all. Then the documentary-like film barely poses any surprise or horror or suspense to me. And it is toooooooooo long, even without a good ending.
I was just wondering if anyone here without knowing the Zodiac history before has enjoyed this movie?
I will do..... when I get a chance....fac51 wrote: As for Bioshock why not try it and make up your own mind as I did with the two afroemetnioed films
Vacancy - slasher/horror film about two people stranded in a small motel which turns out to be a set for snuff films. Kate Beckinsale was wasted in it. 6/10




